- Identify 3-5 of the most important competencies or functions of their particular role and list them in the left column.
- Assess the employee’s current level of proficiency in each of those functions as either Novice, Intermediate or Advanced. Try not to make assumptions about these.
- Collaborate with the employee about these rankings to insure your assessments are accurate.
- Novice level Skills – Invest time here. Be directive and educational. Create a plan to provide more training, oversight and more frequent check-ins on each of these.
- Intermediate Skills – Identify what experience/knowledge/training the employee needs to achieve an Advanced level of skill and map out a realistic process for them to do so.
- Advanced Skills – Allow them to shine here, to have autonomy, and to show leadership. Your role should be one of a soundboard, not a director.
DOWNLOAD THE XCEL SPREADSHEET HERE TO ORGANIZE YOUR ASSESSMENT OF YOUR EMPLOYEE